RNLB St Andrew Civil Service No 10

RNLB St Andrew Civil Service No 10

The St Andrew lifeboat, built 1951 for the Whitehills, Scotland station.
41 foot Watson class with alloy superstructure.

Twin Ford “D” series marine engines known as Parsons Porbeagles, 50 hp each. The vessel in the original layout internally and externally.

The only lifeboat of this class in original, seaworthy condition.

The Richard Vernon and Mary Garforth of Leeds

The Richard Vernon 46’9” Watson class Lifeboat, ON 931 Served at Angle and Wicklow 1957 to 1988 Built 1956 by J Samuel White at Cowes. She was the RNLI’s exhibition boat at the first London Boat Show, held at Olympia in January 1957. She then went to Angle, Pembrokeshire where she served from 1957 to 1987. She is credited with 71 lives saved whilst at Angle. Her final service was the remainder of 1987 into 1988 at Wicklow as relief Lifeboat and she was sold out of service in 1989.

 

Originally built as an open cockpit boat powered by 2 x 4 cylinder Ferry Diesel engines the Richard Vernon was converted by the RNLI in the 1960s by fitting a wheelhouse roof and the engines were replaced by 6 cylinder Ford diesel engines with the exhaust route changed from up the mast to through the hull. Gearboxes are substantial “Self Changing Gears” commercial hydraulic clutched gearboxes with additional recoil start still fitted. Originally built as non-self righting, the boat was converted to self-righting by the addition of an inflatable airbag on the aft cabin roof. This was removed before she left RNLI service.

The Richard Vernon is registered as a National Historic Ship. The boat is in very good order throughout. Outside she is in the condition as she left the RNLI, minus the self-righting bag. Unusually for an RNLI Watson class Lifeboat the boat was recovered up the slip at Angle Lifeboat station bow first and the forward bulwark/toe boards still have the gap to accommodate the winch lines although the large fairleads were removed. All deck fittings remain as she left service, including the Fisherman’s anchor and Francis searchlight. A 19kg Bruce anchor is used as the “working” anchor. Internally the wheelhouse and engine room are as per RNLI condition, the engines are well serviced with recent rebuild of the injector pumps and new diesel lift pumps. Gearboxes and prop shafts/seals etc are fully serviced and work to design spec.

Fuel consumption is still as per the RNLI speed v consumption graphs, about 3.5 gallons per hour at cruising speed. All the electric circuits with the exception of the bow thruster are on the original wiring loom through the circuit breakers in the engine room and aft cabin. This means that armoured, shielded cable is used throughout the boat to reduce VHF interference.

It also means that substantial wiring supplies higher power consumption items such as the fridge/freezer via circuit breakers. 12v supplies to instruments and VHFs are via separate transformers by each installation. Lighting throughout the boat is by LED bulbs, including the navigation and riding lights. Fire extinguishers are in date. The forward cabin has been converted with the addition of bunks in the wing compartments to port and starboard with a 3rd bunk space across the boat under the steps into the cabin. The engine heat exchangers are inn the forward cabin, making this a warm, dry sleeping cabin. The fore-peak contains the heads, some hanging storage and the Lewmar 8hp bow thruster with its substantial 24v battery supply. This is charged by the starboard engine when cruising or by a Sterling battery charger/conditioner when connected to shore power.

The aft cabin has been very tastefully converted to allow comfortable cruising whilst retaining the look and feel of a Lifeboat. A small galley area comprising a 2 burner Origo spirit stove, a glass topped sink with mixer tap and a selection of hardwood cupboards has been custom-built professionally into the chart table/radio/radar area. The original heater, supplied from the port engine has been retained and ducted to heat the aft cabin and wheelhouse, a calorifier supplies hot water to the sink. 100litres of freshwater is carried in a bag tank under the wheelhouse deck with a filler on the starboard deck. 12v and 24v sockets are positioned around the cabin. Upholstered seating for up to 8 people is based around a hardwood table /chart table with a superb RNLI flag made of marquetry in the centre. A considerable volume of storage is under the seating with access to the propellor scuttles and bilge compartments. The seating area may be converted into a large double bed sleeping area. All buoyancy air cases have been removed to allow airflow through the bilge compartments.

The aft cabin also has a “wet” bench seating area just inside the watertight hatch which also contains a Waeco fridge/freezer which runs off 12v, 24v or 240v automatically. All the woodwork in the aft cabin is hardwood or marine ply.

The deckhead is insulated and hardwood lined, painted gloss white. Electronics fitted include: In the wheelhouse Icom VHF and DSC JRC Raster scan 2000 radar Lowrance chart plotter Garmin GPS Raymarine depth sounder Bowthruster joystick In the aft cabin ICS Navtex Sailor VHF and DSC Lowrance chart plotter 24v automatic bilge pumps are fitted to each main watertight compartment throughout the boat. The wheelhouse scuppers are blocked externally but could be easily re-instated. The Richard Vernon had an out of the water refit and annual maintenance in June/July 2019, with the hull and red fenders fully painted, the underwater hull was maintained as required, antifouled and all-new zinc anodes fitted. Decks and superstructure were thoroughly cleaned and polished, no repairs required. Engines, fuel systems and gearboxes were fully serviced.

RNLI Boarding boat 240

 

Former RNLI Humber boarding boat 240.

  • Now fully restored to as near service condition.
  • Twin Mariner outboards.
  • Fully legal road trailer.
  • Superb rare boat for the enthusiast.

RNLB FREDERICK AND EMMA

Frederick and Emma, a 45 ft Watson motor sailing lifeboat built for Wick in Scotland 1921

Also served at Amble, Northumberland to 1950.

Owners details,

FOR SALE
,STADATS’ CONVERTED WATSON CLASS LIFEBOAT
Built 1921 bv Saunders of Cowes
“Stadats”, built as Frederick and Emma in 1921 by Saunders, Cowes, Isle of Wight, served
firstly at Wick Lifeboat Station until 1938, her final “shout” at Wick was to assist downed
RAF Walrus L12237.

During January 1939 she arrived at Amble Lifeboat Station, the first lifeboat to be stationed
thereafter the reopening since the closure in L852; during her service at both stations she
saved a total of 94 lives, 37 while at Wick and 57 at Amble until end of service in 1952.

Bought, rebuilt, converted and maintained for over 50 years by a professional shipwright
“Stadats” regularly appeared at East Coast Gaffer events; she is in working order, however,
would benefit from some updating of the accommodation; she was surveyed on
Robertson’s slip in Woodbridge for winter maintenance and was reported as “sound”. She is
registered with National Historic Ships Cert No772.

DIMENSIONS

  • Length on deck 45ft
  • Beam 72’6′
  • Draft 3’6u
  • Tonnage (gross) L5.26

CONSTRUCTION

  • Planked in double diagonal Honduras mahogany fastened with copper rivets.
  • Heavy oak frames at 30″ centres fastened with copper.
  • Solid teak backbone with heavy iron strap floors.
  • DeckT”” marine plywood, sheathed externally and painted with deck paint.
  • High toe rai! all-round set on galvanised stanchion bases.
  • 1″.5″ Honduras mahogany coach roof coamings with sheathed marine plywood coach roof.
  • Large self- draining cockpit with seating either side and vast lockers beneath.
  • Thick cork rubbing band all round.

RIG

  • Gaff rig ketch on solid deck-stepped masts.
  • Solid varnished wooden booms and gaffs.
  • Galvanised standing rigging to internal galvanised steel chain plates.
  • Mainsail and mizzen by James Lawrence; staysail, genoa and mizzen staysail

MACHINERY
Perkins S6M 100hp 6cyl diesel installed new 1965.
MR10A gearbox with single lever controls to large fixed pitch propeller in tunnel.
6 knots cruising speed, 10 knots max. 1 gallon/hr at cruising speed
100 gallon steel fuel tank under the cockpit sole.
60 gallon galvanised steel water tank under the cockpit sole.
4×12 volt domestic batteries; 2xL2 volt engine start batteries; engine alternator.
2 manual bilge pumps and engine driven bilge pump.
ACCOMMODATION
Good headroom throughout.
Maximum 7 berths with large double skippers’ cabin.
step down from cockpit into passageway offset to starboard past engine space.
Starboard pilot berth in the passageway under deck-head. Large chart desk and storage area
on top of the engine box.
Main saloon forward; single settee berth to starboard; double settee berth to port; dropleaf
saloon table in the centre.
Flavel 2 burner gas stove with oven and grill. Worksurface either side with stowage for
crockery with shelves above; gas-powered fridge under work surface.
Starboard side large work surface area with single stainless sink; manual freshwater pump.1
Forepeak stowage, bosun’s locker and single berth to port if required.
Skipper/s cabin port side of engine box accessed through a passage to port at the base of the
companionway steps; large double berth when folded down; full standing headroom.
Heads compartment at the entrance to skipper’s cabin; Jabsco sea toilet discharges directly
overboard.
SPARE EQUIPMENT

  • Unused galvanised anchor chain 3f8″ x approx. 15 fathoms
  • Set of engine gaskets
  • Spare propeller

 

THIS VESSEL IS VERY REASONABLY PRICED DUE TO BEREAVEMENT AND IN VERY GOOD CONDITION.

ARUN

ARUN, The prototype of this famous class of lifeboat. Built 1971, cold molded timber and epoxy construction hull, alloy superstructure.

Radar, GPS, usual radios etc.

Twin Caterpillar 3208 diesels.

Additional spare parts, propellers, shafts, fuel tanks.

More info to follow.

RNLB Sarah Jane and James Season.

Sarah Jane and James Season, 47 foot Watson class lifeboat formerly stationed at Teesmouth.

Twin Gardner 5LW diesels.

Modest conversion in forecabin, 2 bunk berths added and heads in forepeak, otherwiswe boat in original layout.

Aft cabin with electric galley, incl microwave and lpg powered generator.

Current owners have owned the vessel from the RNLI and cruised extensively UK waters.

RNLB Anne Allen

 UNDER OFFER

Anne Allen. single engine 35ft Liverpool class lifeboat , the second of the Liverpool class motor lifeboats built and now the earliest in existence.

A very significant boat from the history of the RNLI and worthy of preservation.

Superb keel up restoration by present owner back to RNLI specs.

I have been privileged to see this restoration from start to finish and the quality of workmanship and materials used, are second to none.

Lister diesel engine, stripped and fully refurbished.

Full rig, spars and sails., mostly new by orignal makers Ratsey and Lapthorn.

This is a boat for the enthusiast, lots of maintenance but lots of joy.

full restoration article by her owner below.

Restoration of a Liverpool Motor Sailer

After years of dedicated restoration work by owner Terry Despicht, the former Skegness motor lifeboat Anne Allen (ex-ON-760) took to the water for the first time in 2015 having been completely renovated, and made a fine spectacle as she was sailed on the Wash, her original home waters. This historic lifeboat was the first motor boat to serve at Skegness, where she was on station from 1932 to 1953, and is now back to her best having been saved for the future by a dedicated owner. After a 21-year RNLI career, Anne Allen was sold out of service at the end of 1953, but is the only survivor of the eight lifeboats that served at Skegness prior to the current 12m Mersey Lincolnshire Poacher. One of only a handful of lifeboats built by Thornycroft, she was the second of 28 single-screw 35ft 6in Liverpool class lifeboats to be built, and is the oldest surviving boat of the class. The first, Oldham

(ON-750), was broken up at Hoylake in November 1955. During the 21 years that Anne Allen served Skegness, she was launched 120 times on service and is credited with saving 43 lives. Between 1939 and 1945 she was particularly busy, searching for crews of crashed aircraft as

Skegness was close to the many Bomber Command air bases in Lincolnshire and Norfolk. After her sale, she was acquired by the Cox family of Wells next the Sea, where she was adapted for whelking in the 1950s with all her side air cases and seats removed, her steering wheel moved aft to the aft end box bulkhead, and the open end of the canopy taken out to create extra deck space. She was based at Wells Next The Sea for 21 years before being bought by Stratton Long Marine, in Blakeney, and substantially altered to become an angling boat. The alterations saw the removal of the drop keel and casing, as well as the main decking and canopy, which was burnt, and she was renamed Golden Fleece II. In 1999 she was purchased by Terry Despicht and, although she only possessed a few of her original fittings, a complete restoration was planned. Terry explains: ‘This was partly motivated by the fact that my father had been a Wash fisherman until 1950, when Anne Allen was at Skegness, and had taken me at the tender age of four to ‘see the lifeboat’, a visit which left a lasting impression. I clearly recall looking round to see that no one was watching before I touched that gleaming hull.’ So, with plans for a restoration in place, enquiries were made regarding the sourcing of original parts. The first item to become available was the galvanised centreboard case, which was taken from Nellie and Charlie (ex- ON-764), the former Anstruther lifeboat then at Felixstowe Ferry. Although in a poor condition the plan was to use it as a pattern although subsequent developments dictated otherwise as an original brass one was sourced. Between 2002 and 2010 many more items were purchased, including some duplicates which have been put to good use on other Liverpools. Parts from the then derelict Morison Watson

(ex-ON-741), found in a field in Terregles, Dumfries, were retrieved and shared between Anne Allen and the 35ft 6in self-righter City of Nottingham (ex-ON-726). Annie Ronald and Isabella Forrest (ex-ON-792), one of eight of that Liverpool class that had been fitted with bronze underwater parts, was then acquired. Her canopy had been removed and, as the hull of Anne Allen was in much better condition, it was decided to use the major parts of

ON-792 to restore Anne Allen. Anne Allen’s original iron keel had lost 20 per cent due to rusting, so the bronze replacement from ON-792 was a bonus, although replacing a keel is not an easy task. The spars showed the scars of 66 years of use, so a lathe was constructed to turn them while square sheets of abrasive paper were used to bring them back to clean timber. A major challenge was the replacement of the belting, which still retained some of the original cork infill in parts, so the original cork-filled belting was replaced by a strip planked one to increase the strength and rigidity while also offering a chance to put the correct curve back into the port gunwale, which had lost its original shape. The belting was covered by modern red sail cloth material to replicate the original canvas.

 

The restoration started in early 2000 while she was still on a mooring in the Blakeney estuary with hours of paint stripping, a repetitive task interspersed with the removal of interior structures that had been added during the conversion to an angling boat. These included water tanks, rusty steel fuel tanks in the aft end box, and a hydraulic steering system that had replaced the original one. When Anne Allen was brought to Terry’s home in Sutterton in 2002, the anti foul and exterior paint were removed and the whole hull was allowed to breathe while being regularly sprayed with wood preservative. This spraying process took about ten minutes and prevented the hull timbers from drying out too much. Ten years later the hull was painted and to date the paint has adhered well. From the start of the restoration the construction of a new canopy been considered. Prior to the purchase of ON-792, a quantity of Honduras Mahogany had been bought with the intention of cladding a newly built canopy with an outer layer of this timber to replicate the original. Although a canopy came with ON-792 it had been removed by a jigsaw cut around its base and its original shape was distorted. The base sections of the canopy were temporarily fitted to Anne Allen’s deck and locked into position with temporary braces to guarantee it would fit when completed before being glued together. Considering that we were taking virtually everything from the hull of one

Liverpool and fitting it all into another Liverpool hull made four years earlier in a different boatyard, the similarities of the two boats were amazing. Once the outer skin of the canopy had been sanded back to bare wood, it was clear that the finish would not pass muster so in the end the Honduras mahogany was used here. Planks measuring 5mm by 100mm wide, and about 8ft in length, were cut. Getting the outer layer to replicate the pattern below was difficult, but was eventually achieved after much trial and error. The final stage was to open up the screw holes to replicate the original rivets, and drill dozens of others to match the original rivet hole pattern. Every metal part was grit blasted with the finest glass bead, then buffed and polished, before being cleaned twice with cellulose thinners. Three coats of Incralac were applied, which have withstood three years of weathering. When purchased in 1999, Anne Allen had a Perkins 4236 engine, but Terry wanted to replace it. Brought from Morison Watson was an old HW3M 36bhp Lister engine, which had been fitted in her. It was completely seized and had been under water at some time, but was a nice compromise between the original six-cylinder 35bhp Weyburn AE6 RNLI petrol

engine and the 67bhp Perkins. Getting the engine cleaned up was a considerable effort, with the cylinders being rebored, the crankshaft reground and many new parts fitted, but the end result was a power unit that looks very at home under the canopy. A retired Lister foreman commented: ‘You will have more power at your propeller with that Lister than they had with the AE6’. He also assured Terry that the smaller diameter original dry RNLI exhaust system would cope with the Lister’s exhaust.

 

The final major task was to replace the sails with a new set, to be made by

Ratsey and Lapthorn whose name appeared on two original Liverpool jibs Terry had come across. They were fitted and tried out in 2015. Considering that Anne Allen has a long straight keel, a small area of centre keel and a very moderate low aspect sail area meant mainly as a back up to the engine, Terry was pleased to find she goes about well and gybes effortlessly. At the end of the process, Terry said: ‘The restoration has taken many years, but to own and sail the oldest surviving Liverpool is a privilege. Having now completed much of the restoration, were I to be given unlimited funds with which to purchase any boat of my choice I would chose her.’

 

As Terry looks back over what he has achieved, he says, ‘A debt of gratitude must go to the skilled Thornycroft boatbuilders who built her at Platts Eyot, Hampton in 1932; to the Skegness RNLI crew members who looked after her so well for her first 21 years; and to the Cox family and Tikkie Taylor who preserved her for almost half a century between 1953 and 1999.’

LAURA MONCUR.

For Sale. Formerly Buckie, Scotland Watson class lifeboat “Laura Moncur”.

 

WATSON 47’ Lifeboat “Laura Moncur” ON958 with “Solent SELF-RIGHTING conversion”

  • Built 1960/61 by Groves and Gutteridge I.O.W.
  • Served ant Buckie 1961-84 Relief 84-88
  • Fully restored and presented as a historic working lifeboat.
  • Modern additions to make living on board for short periods added.

 

Forepeak: Heads and Sink, 8Kw Bow thruster. Electric bilge pump.

Survivors cabin/forward cabin: Bow thruster battery bank with split charger from engine banks. Two cot/wing bunks, original lockers, new auxiliary 24v electric panel. 240v socket. Electric bilge pumpsx2.
2x Dry powder and 1 CO2 Extinguisher.

Rope locker above with original anchor warp, and various mooring lines. 240v shore cable etc.

Engine room: with 2x 5lw Gardner engines, all original equipment and additional fuel cleaning system, 24v charger 20ampx3,  240v consumer unit and socket. Automatic dry powder extinguisher.

Wheelhouse: All original equipment plus 1x Dry powder and 1 CO2 Extinguisher. Digital engine temperature alarm. Seiwa SW-AP01 autohelm, Standard Horizon CP300 Plotter, Standard Horizon GX1100E VHF/DSC radio. Raytheon SL70RC+radar/plotter.

Aft cabin: laid out as per original with lockers and under deck storage. Calorifier 240v and from engine coolant system Fan heater engine driven. NMEA multiplexer, combiner, Sea Tracer AIS transducer, Navtex Nav4 weather printer/logger, Navman T5005 plotter. Display equipment MW and VHF radio’s, Dummy radar head unit, depth sounder. Small Galley area with sink, room for microwave and small canister gas hob. 1x Dry powder extinguisher and Fire blanket. 3x240v sockets 24v auxiliary panel, 4xbilge pumps. 24 & 12v cigar sockets, 5v usb and 19.5v charging system (Phone and laptop’s)

 

Fully restored over the last 5 years including some overplanking under engine room and tank spaces, all done by professional boat builders.

Dunleary SOLD for restoration.

 

Dunleary.

Formerly Dunlaoghaire (Kingstown, Ireland) and  Lytham St Annes lifeboat

very rare survivor, 45 ft Watson single engined motor sailing lifeboat.

built 1919 and very much in original layout.

Currently fitted with Gardner engine.

Modest conversion needs attention.

Ideal for conversion back to original.

Must be sold soon.

OWNER PREPARED TO ACCEPT IDEAS FOR THE VESSELS FUTURE.

Mrs P Jopling

patjopling@yahoo.co.uk

Pentland SOLD

“Pentland” formerly the Thurso lifeboat.  sold 06 17

Built at Samuel White’s yard in 1957 as Pentland ON940 a 47ft. Watson , replacement station boat for Thurso.

Twin Gardner 5LW marine diesels.

After a refit and conversion to self righting  in 1974 she became the Mumbles station boat until 1989, she ended her working career at Workington in 1991 and then was sold into private hands.
Major refit 2007 -2009 for extended cruising and long stays aboard, always maintained to a high standard and ready to go.
Fore peak- bow thruster,heads, hand basin, heated cloths locker,cabinet, hot air vent,240v lighting.extinguisher.
Fore cabin-2x wing bunks,1x cross bunk,original battery box 2 banks of 2,hot air vent, 4x240v sockets and lighting.extinguisher
Bosons locker-various lines and fenders,anchor warp, 1x30kg Bruce anchor and chain, 1x 30kg CQR anchor and chain, storage containers, extinguisher.
Engine room-much original kit, 2xGardner5lw, 12vbattery bank, 12vand24vcharger, inverter,240vdistribution panel , 4xsockets and tube lighting, calorifier, webasto gas oil hot air heater and vent.extiguishers.
Tank space-170lts gas oil for heating, 170lts fresh water with pressurised delivery, stowage lockers.
Rear shelter-galley area ,lockers ,electric cooker, fridge, microwave,sink and drainer,4x 240v sockets and lighting, chart table and stowage lockers,hot air vent,bench seating which converts to a double bed.extiguishers.
Tiller flap-stowage, Honda generator.
On deck-original fittings and equipment.